Monday, October 31, 2011

Review of 13" i5 Macbook Air Friday, 5 August 2011

I sold my old Core 2 Duo Macbook Air as the new model had a few things that really interested me. The first was the backlit keys which I really missed in the previous model, and secondly was the Core i5 processor. I thought about upgrading to the i7 but 1)You had to buy the 256gb model and 2)I really don't need the extra power for the needs I would be using the computer for.

I purchased the base 128 gig 13" Core i5 Macbook Air on Thursday the 4th of August 2011 from Apple in Robina. Upon opening the box I noticed that there was no restore USB stick like with the previous model. Apparently, all the restore needs are in the MBA itself and other restore USBs will not work with it. I am in two minds about this as I like having a restore USB handy if I want to do a clean install. I also noticed the power charger has changed since the previous model. The head which you plug into the power point is now smaller. Everything else appears to be the same.

I turn it on and instantly notice how fast it is to boot up. I also notice that the login screen has now been customised for Lion. Upon doing a few tasks I notice how much faster and zippy things are compared to the previous model. There is also less beach balling even with several tasks running concurrently.

The one thing that is worse than in the previous model is the battery life. Just doing normal everyday tasks, I have gotten about 4 1/2-5 hours of battery life. I used to get a bit more than that out of the previous model. Still, I think its fairly reasonable.

Overall, I would rate the new MBA 4.5/5. I would have given it a full 5 but the battery life stops me giving it a full 5 but it is a GREAT computer and would recommend.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment